- 1 New to Shining Moon? Or to Renewal?
- 2 Beginner Instance
- 3 Leveling Up
- 3.1 Old-school Grinding Spots
- 3.2 Eden Group
- 3.3 Low-fuss Method
New to Shining Moon? Or to Renewal?
Ragnarok Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG). It was created by Gravity Corporation, which was released back in 2002. The story of Ragnarok Online was based on a manhwa called Ragnarok. The story starts up with a guy named Chaos, a warrior who lost his memories; and a rune knight.
Major updates changed RO's gameplay and content. Thus, naming those changes of in-game mechanics to:
- First Job Classes were introduced (1-1) and until the first path of the Second Job Classes (2-1).
- Second path of the Second Job Classes (2-2) were released.
- Transcendent Second Classes became viable. This requires the player to have a base level 99 and job level 50 to rebirth and start all over again as a
- High Novice > High First Job Class > Transcendent Second Class. This also increases the job level cap (99/70), and unlocks a new array of skills.
- Third Job Classes were released.
- Computations were changed: (EXP, Stats, Monsters, Skills and etc).
- Level cap changed to 175/60.
- Latest and still being updated.
NOTE: There are lots of changes and features that are not mentioned above. This only serves as a brief differentiation of in-game mechanics.
Your First Quest
In Shining Moon after creating a character, you will automatically be sent to a novice dungeon where a non-playable character (NPC), awaits your arrival. His name is Oliver Balmer, a blacksmith and an arch bishop.
Oliver Balmer is looking for adventurers, to help him hunt down monsters.
A menu will pop-up with two choices:
Yes, continue.If you want to continue chose this option, refer to: Pandarings and Foxrings
No, please stop.If you want to quit, chose this option, refer to: First Job Advancement
NOTE: Oliver Balmer used [Class Change], a custom feature of Shining Moon; to change into an arch bishop to support you on your quest. For more information refer to: Dual Class
Pandarings and Foxrings
After accepting Oliver's request, a quest will be given to you and will be saved on your quest log.
10 Pandarings. Pandarings are located at the middle of the map.
- If you don't know what it looks like, click here
10 Foxrings. Foxrings are located north of Pandarings, or on top of the map.
- If you don't know what it looks like, click here
First Job Advancement
You will be sent to the Main Office after completing Oliver's request or either by skipping it.
- Talk to
Job Changer Elaineto change your job.
- If you can't change your job:
- Try to check your skills tab by pressing
alt + s, if all of the skill points are properly allocated.
- Try to check your job level if it's maxed on your current state. If you are lacking a few levels refer to: Basic Leveling, and return to
Job Changer Elaineonce you get enough levels.
- Try to check your skills tab by pressing
NOTE: If you skipped Oliver's request, you need to gain your own starter levels.
NOTE: You can easily access the Main Office by typing
Old-school Grinding Spots
First of all, there is no best way of leveling, it all comes down to your preference. This is just another way of leveling:
- Levels 1 - 10
Pronera Field 7use the Warper > Fields > Prontera Fields > Prontera Field 7. Kill Rockerand Savage Babe. Good beginner map, but watch out for Vocal (30 minute spawn).
Payon Forest 2use the Warper > Fields > Payon Forest > Payon Forest 2. Kill Spore, Snake and Worm Tail. Good beginner map, can get Strawberries from the Spores to sell to players for zeny.
Sograt Desert 1use the Warper > Fields > Sograt Deserts > Sograt Deserts 1. Kill Peco Peco, Muka and Peco Peco Egg. Good quest reward EXP (Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 11-25)), Peco Pecos assist however and several may target the player at once as a result.
- Levels 11 - 20
Ant Hell 1use the Warper > Dungeons > Ant Hell 1. Kill some Ant Egg and Familiar. Very popular leveling map. Ant Eggs do not attack back, so the player will not take damage. Map may also have Alchemists leveling their Homunculus.
Payon Forest 7use the Warper > Fields > Payon Forest > Payon Forest 7. Kill Bigfoot, Stainer, Caramel and Creamy. Can collect items for Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 26-40).
Mt. Mjolnir 6use the Warper > Fields > Mjolnir Fields > Mjolnir Fields 6. Kill Poison Spore, Smokie and Creamy. Map with the lowest level aggro (aggressive) monster, Poison Spores. AoE skills recommended.
- Levels 21 - 30
Payon Forest 9use the Warper > Fields > Payon Forest > Payon Forest 9. Kill Elder Willow, Coco and Horn. Can also collect kill reward for Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 26-40).
Geffen Field 10use the Warper > Fields > Geffen Fields > Geffen Field 10. Kill Orc Warrior, Orc Lady and Orc Baby. Can also collect kill reward for Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 41-55). Very mobby map and great for AoE leveling. Fire element attacks recommended. Be careful of Orc Lord.
- Levels 31-40
Byalan Dungeon 1use the Warper > Dungeon > Byalan Dungeon > Byalan Dungeon 1. Not as mobby as Orc Village or OD1 and better for single target killing. Has multiple kill rewards from Eden Group Leveling Quests.
- Levels 41 - 50
Sograt Desert 17use the Warper > Fields > Sograt Desert > Sograt Desert 17. Kill Hode, Sandman and Frilldora. Decent leveling map with about half aggro half passive. Be careful of Phreeoni. Drops can be turned in for EXP from level 56 to 70 (Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 56-70)).
Sograt Desert 16use the Warper > Fields > Sograt Desert > Sograt Desert 16. Kill Kill Hode, Sandman and Frilldora. Decent leveling map with mostly aggro monsters. Drops can be turned in for EXP from level 56 to 70 (Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 56-70)).
Payon Cave 4use the Warper > Dungeon > Payon Cave > Payon Cave 4. Kill Sohee. Passive monsters. Also has EXP reward from (Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 56-70)).
- Levels 51 - 60
- Levels 61 - 70
Geffen Field 8use the Warper > Fields > Geffen Fields > Geffen Field 8. Kill Petit (Sky). Has some corners, where monsters may be bunched up at.
Juno Field 4use the Warper > Fields > Yuno Fields > Yuno Field 4. Kill Harpy and Goat. Also has EXP reward from Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 71-85). Harpies can silence the character, so remember to bring Green Potions if the character has low INT.
- Levels 71 - 80
Clock Tower 2Fuse the Warper > Dungeon > Clock Tower > Clock Tower 2F. Kill Clock, Punk and Rideword. Good EXP reward from Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 71-85).
Maps surrounding Yunouse the Warper > Towns > Yuno. Kill Grand Peco, Sleeper, Goat and Harpy. Good EXP reward from Eden Group Leveling Quests (Level 71-85).
- Levels 81 - 90
Rachel Field 12use the Warper > Fields > Rachel Fields > Rachel Field 12. Kill Roween. Orc Warrior Card recommended. Earth element attacks will do extra damage.
Rachel Field 1use the Warper > Fields > Rachel Fields > Rachel Field 1. Kill Desert Wolf. Orc Warrior Card and Fire armor recommended. Water element attacks will do extra damage.
- Levels 91 - 100
Magma Dungeon 2use the Warper > Dungeons > Magma Dungeon > Magma Dungeon 2. Kill Nightmare Terror, Deleter (Earth) and Deleter (Sky). Extremely mobby map, and great for AoE leveling. Make sure to use a reduction shield and garment. Fire armor and Aspersio recommended.
Vein Field 3use the Warper > Fields > Vein Fields > Vein Field 3. Kill Magmaring. Magmarings are passive looters. One tactic is to drop an item, and cast an AoE skill onto the area as they bunch up.
Juperos Ruins 1use the Warper > Dungeons > Juperos > Juperos 1. Kill Venatu (Purple), Venatu (Green), Venatu (Orange) and Venatu (Blue). Extremely mobby map, and great for AoE leveling. Venatus have 2 cell range, so this map is not recommended for classes with small AoEs. Can use Penomena Card or Ogretooth Card for reduction from all of the monsters.
- Levels 101 - 110
- Levels 111 - 120
Abyss Lake Dungeon 1, 2, 3use the Warper > Dungeons > Abyss Lakes > Abyss Lake 1, 2, 3. Kill all the dragons you see. Sky Petite Card or Executioner Card highly recommended.
Manuk Field 3use the Warper > Fields > Manuk Fields > Manuk Field 3. Kill Tatacho, Centipede and Hillslion. Orc Warrior Card and Fire element attacks recommended. Be careful of Hardrock Mammoth.
- Levels 121 - 130
Lighthalzen Dungeon 2use the Warper > Dungeons > Bio Labs > Bio Lab 2. Kill all the people you see.
Scaraba Halluse the Warper > Dungeons > Scaraba Hole > Scaraba Hole 2. Kill Antler Scaraba and Rake Scaraba. Bigfoot Card highly recommended for reduction. Use Fire element attacks for more damage. Be careful of the MVP Queen Scaraba.
- Levels 131 - 140
Eclageuse the Warper > Dungeons > Bifrost Tower > Bifrost Tower 1. Kill Lichtern (Yellow), Lichtern (Blue), Lichtern (Red), https://www.divine-pride.net/database/monster/2370/ Lichtern (Green)], Antique Book and Cenere. High HP monsters that use many different elemental skills. For experienced well-geared players only.
NOTE: On every town, basic npcs are located. Namely are:
Kafra Employee and other offical npcs.
- Before you join the Eden Group, use the Warper > Dungeons > Payon Dungeon.
- Put 9 on DEX and put the rest on STR/AGI.
- Place the Novice Red Potions on your skillbar.
- Hit until you have 220 HIT. Then change to .
- Hit base level 26, then type @go eden.
- Go to the north and talk to Secretary Lime Evenor and choose Join the Eden Group.
- Talk to Instructor Boya next to her and accept her quest.
- Go back to the south and use the Warper > Dungeons > Payon Dungeon.
- Leave the dungeon and talk to Eden Member Karl.
- Go back to the dungeon and kill 15 . Return to Eden Member Karl.
- Go back to the dungeon and kill 10 . Return to Eden Member Karl.
- Type @go eden and talk to Instructor Boya.
- Go to east and hover your mouse over the big, grey door and click it.
- Enter the north-east warp.
- Talk to Administrator Michael and choose To get supplies.
- Some jobs can , so be careful with your choice.
- From this point, do Eden Board quests by talking to the boards in the main room.
From Level 71
- Talk to Mission [71 - 85] and take Glast Heim > Evil Druid and Glast Heim > Wraith.
- Talk to Instructor Ur and accept his quest.
- Use the Warper > Dungeon > Glast Heim > Glast Heim St.Abbey.
- Talk to Johan.
- Kill 10 . Return to the Mission [71 - 85] and turn it in. Take it again.
- Repeat the previous step.
- Go back to Johan and take her new quest.
- Kill 10 .
- Return to Johan then go back to the Eden Group and turn it in.
- Talk to Instructor Ur.
- Enter the big door and go to the north-east portal.
- Talk to Toren to get your new equipment.
- Keep doing these two quests until you reach level 85.
- From this point you can either keep leveling with Eden leveling quests or start doing Gramps.
From Level 85 (Optional Method to instantly reach 3rd Job after Rebirth)
- Pick up both 85+ Gramps quests and complete them. You will most likely have to stay in Gramps even after reaching 99/50. Do not turn these in.
- Get 6 holy waters from the Tool dealer and 6 blue gemstones, then complete the Cautious Village quest. http://irowiki.org/wiki/Cautious_Village
- Do NOT turn in Cautious Village. Stop right after giving the last set of holy water and blue gemstone to the last NPC. Do NOT talk to Mumbaki afterwards.
- Get +10 quad Zipper Bear knife (or just a knife) and rebirth. Warp to Payon Dungeon, beat up the first zombie you come across (you need potions) and turn into a transcended First Class.
- Turn in Cautious Village and hit job level 50 immediately. Ascend to High 2nd Job.
- Turn in both Gramps and hit 99/70 immediately. Ascend to Third Job.
- Get some sleep, Gramps is on cooldown.
Do NOT attempt the above method if you're trying to build a DD Crit GX as you do not want any points in double attack.
*Since the server had received the multihit critical update (affecting Double Attack, Chain Action, Eternal Chain, Triple Attack and Fear Breeze), this is no longer the case.
It is HIGHLY recommended to max out Double Attack in most Thief builds.
This method will not require much moving, hence "low-fuss". It will take only a few hours to get to around Base Level 165, granted you make full use of :
- @go to heal, and @warp to quickly get back to the leveling area. Fly Wings are optional
- the free EXP Manuals you get on every newly made character
- any good initial gears you have, but is completely doable with just the Rental Weapons available in your inventory
- proper elements for the monsters you're up against (through the correct spells, ammunitions or endow scrolls)
This method requires some basic RO knowledge and is simply a guide. There is no best leveling method. Play to your comfort and enjoyment.
From First Job Change to Second Job Change
- Regardless if you finished or skipped the beginner instance, begin at
Anthell 1once you've reached your First Job Change. Your main targets are Ant Eggs that periodically spawn in 2 fixed areas in the dungeon.
- Pump up as much DEX as you can, preferably reaching 30 base DEX ASAP, and maintaining at least 10 base DEX above your base levels until you have 70 base DEX while keeping your main damage stat as high as possible (unless DEX is your main stat, in which case go higher). Some AGI is recommended for comfortable ASPD.
- Unless you've prepared better leveling weapons, make use of the Rental Weapons in your inventory.
- Acolytes should use the Wrench
- Archers should use the Rudra Bow
- Merchants should use the Cutlas
- Swordmans should use the Poll Axe
- Thieves should use either Cutlas or Moonlight Dagger
- Taekwons should of course be bare-handed. However, focus on maxing Sprint ASAP
- Dorams, Gunslingers, Magicians, Ninjas, and (Super) Novices have to make do with what they have
- Use the Moonlight Dagger if you ever need to regain SP
- Acquire and max out your First Job area of effect skill to quickly take down clumps of Ant Eggs at once. Thieves may use the Bash skill granted by Cutlas or make use of Double Attack with Moonlight Dagger.
- Keep killing the eggs until you reach enough job levels to get to your Second Job. Unless you are an expanded or transcended First Job, you do not need to get maximum job levels.
- Expanded classes may move on at around Base Level 50
From Second Job Change to Base Level 80
- After job change, move on to
Orc Dungeon 1.
- If your Second Job have better AoE skills, get them ASAP. Acolytes may simply switch to the best staves they can get and start Heal-bombing.
- Try to mob as much Orc Zombies as you can handle.
From Base Level 80 to Base Level 99
- Your next stop is
Glastheim Churchyard, killing Dark Priests.
- It is recommended to grab the Dark Priest Bounty from the triangular Bounty Board near where you spawn in Eden Group HQ, under the town Geffen (Level 81-120). You can continue the bounty after rebirth.
- Unlike previous spots where AoE mobbing was preferred, you need to use your highest DPS skill to quickly dispatch these Dark Priests due to their strength.
- Alternatives are Stapos in
Veins Field 7(with its Eden Group Leveling Quest on the Level 91-99 Eden Group Board, 2nd Floor) and Magmarings in
Veins Field 3.
Repeat the same locations after rebirth until you reach your Third Job Change.
From Third Job Change to around Base Level 130
- You may continue killing some Dark Priests until you can obtain a Third Job AoE skill.
- After doing so, create a party even if you're solo and go to the Instance Manager NPC. Create the instance
Infinity Space. Talk to the NPC again and enter the instance.
- Proceed through the instance until Floor 10, where it's highly likely that you'll be stuck against Infinite Eddga. Try to clear everything on the floor except the boss, exit the instance and remake your party.
From Base Level 130 to Base Level 160
- Talk to the Instance Manager NPC again. Create and enter the instance
- Proceed through the instance until you seem to not get any significant EXP anymore. Completion of the instance is optional.
Base Level 160 Onwards
- Past this point, leveling will start to slow down significantly. However, there are several things that may help you:
- Gramps 400 Kill quests
- Bounty Board quests
- MVP hunts, including Bloody Branches
Room of Consciousnessgives quick access to several MVP tier EXP, and can be done once a day