FAQ: Homunculus and Azzy AI Tutorial
Homunculus is a special pet/companion of Alchemist class. Similar to pets, they need to be fed to become loyal to its owner. Unlike pets, Homunculus gains levels and can learn new skills when reaching certain levels. They can evolve after becoming loyal, and after reaching Lv 99 they can mutate into Homunculus S and become even stronger than before.
Homunculus' behavior can be controlled using the Azzy AI application, which should be included in Shining Moons Full Installer. If you don't have it, you can download it from here:
This FAQ will discuss how to obtain Homunculus, the pros and cons of each Homunculus, and an introduction to configuring Azzy AI.
Homunculus Balance Patch of 2017-07-21 (kRO)
The damage of Needs of Paralysis was increased a little.
Pyroclastic will not longer cause your weapon to break at the end.
Eraser Cutter will now be forced neutral on all levels.
The damage of Eraser Cutter has been largely incrased.
And the variable cast time reduced.
Xeno Slasher is now forced Wind on all levels.
The damage of Xeno Slasher has been largely increased.
And the variable cast time reduced.
Sonic Claw's range is now 2 cells.
The aftercast delay of Midnight frenzy and Silvervein Rush has been reduced.
Greatly decreased the fixed cast time of Stahl Horn.
Heilage Stange's AoE has been increased.
- 1 Homunculus Basics
- 1.1 What is the max Level of Homunculus?
- 1.2 How do I get a Homunculus?
- 1.3 How do I raise a Homunculus?
- 1.4 How do I make my Homunculus attack/use skills on its own?
- 1.5 Will my Homunculus disappear when I am reborn/transcend into Biochemist/Creator?
- 1.6 How do I level my Homunculus?
- 1.7 My Homunculus is Loyal now, how do I make it evolve? Where can I get Stone of Sage?
- 1.8 How do I get Homunculus S?
- 1.9 What is the best Homunculus S?
- 2 Azzy AI Tutorial
What is the max Level of Homunculus?
Homunculus (pre-mutation) caps at 99, while Homunculus S (mutated) caps at 175.
How do I get a Homunculus?
- Create a Merchant character and turn them into an Alchemist.
- Make sure you have learned the following skills: Bioethics, Rest, Call Homunculus, and at least Lv 1 Resurrect Homunculus.
- Prepare several Embryos:
- Visit the Market (@go 37) and browse the vendors. Sometimes Embryos are sold there.
- Make an offer in #trade channel and buy Embryos from other players.
- Brew your own Embryo using the Pharmacy skill. Embryo is not sold by any NPC.
- If you are brewing your own Embryos, you can purchase the materials in the Alchemist Guild building, South West corner of Aldebaran.
- With Embryos in your Inventory, use the Call Homunculus skill. An Embryo will disappear from your Inventory and a Homunculus should appear near you. The Homunculus you summon from an Embryo is randomized. Use Alt + R to view your Homunculus Info window, and use the "@hominfo" command to view detailed Homunculus stats and Intimacy points.
- If you did not get the Homunculus you want, you can get rid of it by clicking the "del" button on the Homunculus Info window. After you've gotten rid of it, you can try summoning another Homunculus as long as you have Embryos in your Inventory.
How do I raise a Homunculus?
You have to increase its Intimacy by feeding it (between 11-75 hunger). Do not let it starve (letting its hunger reach 10 or less) but do not overfeed it (feeding when its hunger is at 76 or more). Homunculus food items can be bought from Trader NPC inside Geffen Tool Shop, or from Pet Groomer NPC near the East Inn and Equipment Shop in Prontera.
If you let its Intimacy turn to Hate with Passion, your Homunculus will leave you. You can get another Embryo to summon a new Homunculus if that happens. When its Intimacy is at Loyal, use a Stone of Sage to evolve your Homunculus.
Tip: Immediately after summoning your brand new Homunculus, feed it and work on increasing its Intimacy instead of leveling it. While it is still at Lv 1 and when it is Loyal, evolve it and your Homunculus will gain a substantial boost to its stats, Max HP, and Max SP, making leveling it easier.
How do I make my Homunculus attack/use skills on its own?
You need to configure your HomunculusÃ¢ÂÂ AI. Shining Moons Full Installer should include Azzy AI in the AI > USER_AI folder. If you don't have it, you can download it here. In the USER_AI folder, find the AzzyAIConfig application and run it.
You can configure your Homunculus' behavior in the Homunculus tab and Homunculus Tactics tab. There is a description of what each setting does at the bottom of the application window, so carefully read through them and adjust as you see fit.
After making any changes to the configuration, type /hoai in game so that your Homunculus' behavior follows the customized AI. Putting the Homunculus to Rest and summoning it again also works to apply any changes you've made to its AI configuration.
More details on configuring Azzy AI will be discussed later.
Will my Homunculus disappear when I am reborn/transcend into Biochemist/Creator?
No. The same Homunculus you owned and raised as an Alchemist will reappear when you summon it as Biochemist/Creator.
How do I level my Homunculus?
Between Lv 1 - 30, your Homunculus is still relatively weak, so have it gain some levels from Porings, Spores, or stay in Payon Dungeon for a bit.
- AFK Leveling : This is the easiest and perhaps the most common method of leveling Homunculus, especially pre-mutation. Some popular leveling spots include:
- Ant Eggs in Ant Hell
- Hydra pools in Amatsu field
- Hidden Dungeon (Labyrinth Forest north of Prontera)
- Assisted Leveling : You might have to do this for your mutated Homunculus S. Generally you can start going to relatively mobby maps as soon as your Homunculus obtains its AoE skill (Bayeri's Heilage Stange at Lv 138, Dieter's Lava Slide at Lv 109, Eira's Xeno Slasher at Lv 121, Sera's Poison Mist at Lv 116).
- Some maps you can try:
- Orc Dungeon 1F and/or 2F
- Glast Heim St. Abbey, Churchyard, Underprison (take advantage of Bayeri's Stahl Horn + Goldene Frese)
- Brasilis Field
- Desert Wolves outside of Ice Dungeon (not suitable for Dieter)
- Magma Dungeon 2F (not suitable for Dieter)
- Rachel Sanctuary
- Eleanor has no AoE but it has an impressive array of single target DPS skills. Theoretically it can still level in the same maps as other Homunculus S, or you can try going to low tier MvPs (e.g. Phreeoni, Eddga, Orc Hero) and go to progressively stronger MvPs.
- Some maps you can try:
My Homunculus is Loyal now, how do I make it evolve? Where can I get Stone of Sage?
You need a Stone of Sage to evolve your Loyal Homunculus. You can farm Stone of Sage in Thanatos Tower, where it is dropped by Observation (Dame of Sentinel), Shelter (Mistress of Shelter), Solace (Lady Solace), and Retribution (Baroness of Retribution), or in Biolabs, where it is dropped by Gemini-S58.
How do I get Homunculus S?
- You must be a Genetic.
- Your Homunculus must be evolved and have reached Lv 99. Its Intimacy doesn't have to be loyal; when it mutates into Homunculus S it will gain its Loyal skill (e.g. Self Destruction, S.B.R. 44, Blood Lust, Mental Charge)
- Go to Lighthalzen (@go 20) and enter the Geneticist Guild building at the 8-9 o'clock area of the map.
- Inside, talk to Viorel NPC to start a short quest.
- Optional: Prepare 50,000 Zeny so you can choose which Homunculus S you will get.
What is the best Homunculus S?
The best Homunculus S depends entirely what you want to do with it, and whether a Homunculus' characteristics suit your style. Here's a quick rundown of base Homunculi and mutated Homunculi's characteristics.
|Amistr (Brute)||Tank type. Amistr has high HP pool, Defense, and decent Attack. Tends to have low INT, SP pool, and low SP regen.|
|Its loyal skill (Blood Lust) temporarily boosts its physical attack damage. Amistr's Castling is also useful to get yourself out of dangerous situations. All-round good Homunculus base for general purpose.|
|Filir (Brute)||ASPD type. Filir has decent Attack and Attack Speed. Tends to have moderate HP pool and low SP pool.|
|Filir has a melee attack skill (Moonlight) that is instacast. Its loyal skill (S.B.R. 44) deals damage according to its Intimacy, and reduces Intimacy after usage.|
|Lif (Demi-Human)||Magic type. Lif has decent Magic Attack and SP pool. Tends to have low Attack, Defense, Attack Speed, and HP pool.|
|Lif's recovery and movement speed buff skills (Healing Hands and Urgent Escape) are not useful after the owner becomes a Genetic. Aesthetically pleasing but functionally dubious compared to other Homunculi.|
|Vanilmirth (Formless)||Mandatory Homunculus for brewers, as Vanilmirth's Instruction Change improves Pharmacy success rates. Well-rounded stats and stat growth, and is also a good Homunculus base for general purpose.|
|Vanilmirth has a magic attack skill (Caprice) that is instacast. Its loyal skill (Self Destruction) deals damage according to its MaxHP, and reduces Intimacy after it is used.|
|Bayeri (Brute)||Holy damage dealer. Stahl Horn is Neutral by default, single target, and based on ATK. Heilage Stange is a Holy AoE and based on MATK.|
|Bayeri's buff skills and defensive skills (Goldene Ferse, Angriffs Modus, Stein Wand) are instacast. Its offensive skills have fixed cast time and are interruptible.|
|Dieter (Formless)||Fire damage dealer. Lava Slide is a Fire AoE based on ATK. Dieter can also endow itself and its owner's attacks with Fire element and increase both their physical attack damage using Pyroclastic.|
|Dieter's debuff skill (Volcanic Ash) can cause enemies' attacks to miss frequently, their skills may also fail to activate at 50% chance, and cause enemies to receive 150% more damage from Fire element attacks. Dieter's defensive skill (Granitic Armor) temporarily reduce the damage received by the owner and Dieter itself.|
|Eira (Angel)||Wind and Neutral damage dealer. Eira's Eraser Cutter and Xeno Slasher's damage are based on ATK. The skill level determines its element (Neutral at Lv 2 and 4, Wind at Lv 1, 3, and 5).|
|Eira's buff skill (Overed Boost) increase Flee and ASPD of Eira itself and its owner, at the cost of reducing its Hunger level. Using Overed Boost will cause Eira to require more frequent feeding but that also means its Intimacy can be increased faster than other Homunculus. Eira also has an auto-resurrection skill that reduces Intimacy points (Light of Regen), and a healing skill that may inflict Silence on the target (Silent Breeze).|
|Eleanor (Demi-Human)||Single target, Neutral element DPS.|
|Eleanor has no buff skills and is best suited for 1v1 fights.|
|Sera (Insect)||Poison and Neutral damage dealer. Sera's Needle of Paralysis is based on ATK may cause an enemy to be unable to move. Its Poison Mist is a Poison AoE that slowly damages and inflicts Blind on enemies.|
|Sera's Pain Killer is best suited for mobbing enemies that deal 1,000 damage or less from normal attacks. Sera's Summon Legion is also useful as additional DPS and for Plant-type monsters that take 1 damage from any attack. It is possible to use Summon Legion Lv 5, 3, and 1 simultaneously.|
Azzy AI Tutorial
The Azzy AI application is included in Shining Moons Full Installer. If, for some reason you do not have it in your Shining Moon ROs folder, you can download one of the pre-configured Azzy AIs from Shining Moons website. After downloading it, make sure to place the app in Shining MoonRO > AI > USER_AI folder.
When you open the app, it will appear somewhat like this. Don't worry if yours look slightly different, the contents and available configurations should be the same for the most part, although the latest Azzy AI version (1.551) may have configurations unavailable in the older versions (1.54, as shown below).
Notice there are several tabs on the top half of the window. For configuring Homunculus, you need to run a thorough check on the Homunculus tab and Homunculus Tactics tab. First of all, let's discuss the configurations in Homunculus Tactics tab.
Homunculus Tactics Tab
When you click the Homunculus Tactics tab, it would appear like this.
This is where you configure what your Homunculus should do when it encounter monsters in the game. Generally it's best to set Basic Behavior to Attack (Medium) or Attack (High) so that your Homunculus will aggro on all the monsters within its sight.
To configure how your Homunculus uses its attack skills, click the dropdown lists on Use Attack Skills and Skill Class. Some Homunculus skills such as Caprice and Moonlight may have a long cooldown/reuse delay when the Homunculus autocasts them, and you might prefer to have your Homunculus use its Homunculus S skills (e.g. Lava Slide, Sonic Claw, etc.) so adjust these to your preference.
Eleanor owners in particular should configure the Skill Class in Homunculus Tactics tab to synchronize with configurations in the AutoSkill Options category in the Homunculus tab. This is to prevent Eleanor from displaying odd behavior, and to ensure Eleanor casts its attack skills properly.
The Rescue dropdown list tells your Homunculus whether to change target to a monster that attacks itself, its owner, its owner's Mercenary, characters in the friend list, or all of them. This is useful to ensure that your Homunculus will draw the mob's aggro to itself, thus allowing you to wipe out the mob from a safe distance.
The Homunculus tab is where more detailed configuration for Homunculus can be found. This is where you configure how and when your Homunculus uses its skills, how it moves around relative to its owner and enemies, and so forth. It consists of 9 options, as seen below.
For general PvE/PvM purposes and for the sake of simplicity, several options such as PvP Options and Berserk Options will not be discussed here.
The box at the bottom half of the Azzy AI window describes what each configuration does, so be sure to read that carefully.
This is the basic configurations of Homunculus, where you determine when it should go aggro, whether it should use skills or not, how many monsters it should tank before it does something else (such as use an AoE skill), and so forth.
Pay attention to Old Homun Type option and be sure to set it to the appropriate Homunculus that you are currently using, to prevent odd behavior and to ensure your Homunculus uses its skills.
Whether your Homunculus has learned its attack skill or not, generally it's better to set Use Attack Skill to True.
If you feel like your Homunculus is attacking too slowly, set Use Dance Attack to True. Otherwise set it to False so that your Homunculus would stand in one spot while attacking, thus allowing it to regenerate SP easier.
This is where you control when and how your Homunculus uses its buff/supportive, defensive, and recovery skills, including:
- Amistr's Defense (Bulwark), Castling, and Blood Lust
- Filir's Over Speed (Accelerated Flight) and Fleet Move (Flitting)
- Lif's Mental Charge, Urgent Escape, and Healing Hands
- Vanilmirth's Chaotic Blessings
- Bayeri's Stein Wand, Goldene Ferse, and Angriffs Modus
- Dieter's Granitic Armor, Magma Flow, Lava Slide, and Pyroclastic
- Eira's Silent Breeze and Over Boost
- Sera's Pain Killer and Poison Mist
Auto Skill Options
This is where you configure how and when your Homunculus uses its attack/offensive skills. It configures how your Homunculus uses skills such as:
- Bayeri's Stahl Horn and Heilage Stange
- Dieter's Lava Slide
- Eira's Eraser Cutter, Xeno Slasher, and Silent Breeze
- Eleanor's combo skills
- Sera's Needle of Paralysis, Poison Mist, and Summon Legion
It's very important that you run through all the options thoroughly and adjust it to suit your Homunculus. Keep in mind that several skills are only usable when the Homunculus is in melee range (e.g. Sera's Needle of Paralysis and Pain Killer, Eleanor's combo skills), so be sure to adjust Use Skill Only option so that it suits your Homunculus.
Eleanor owners in particular should double check the configurations in Auto Skill Option and Homunculus Tactics tab to ensure that Eleanor uses its skills properly.
Standby Options and Walk/Follow Options
Here you can configure how your Homunculus moves around relative to you and to enemies. You can also determine whether your Homunculus sits with you when you sit, or have it patrol around you instead.