Sign in to follow this  
ExSoldier

How to make a build from scratch

While you were shooting arrows, I studied the blade.

One of the BIGGEST problems in ragnarok online is how to make an EFFECTIVE build. Note how an effective build is not always noted by its actual damage, but by how good your build works in the scenario you want to use it for.

This guide is a preview guide that will be part of the MUCH LARGER "Ultimate Guillotine Cross, All Builds" Guide that im finishing and hope to post on the following days.
But since this version includes some examples that won't be present on the GX guide, i decided to post a longer and detailed version here. And specially since many people ask me "how to make weird builds that surprisingly work

A- Is it a show-off build or an effective build?
    A show off build is a build created and balanced around -DUMMY- damage. They usually include Singing and Playing Pere Card combo (sometimes Jitterbug as well), specific formless/neutral boosting enchants and other stuff that you wouldn't use in any reasonable scenario in 2019. Some people live by it, some people use it and pretend they don't, among other reasons. This guide WON'T cover this possibilities. If you want big numbers, thats not the purpose here.

B- What is an effective build?
    It's a build that ACTUALLY works in real use. You can dish out "25 million damage" and you have absolutely full damage gears, 1 vit, 0 resistances, no recovery or damage mitigation or any kind of reasonable defense that would enable you to survive different situations. You also might have a massive Nuke potential, and still have 0% after cast delay reduction, taking a LONG time between actions, and bringing down your ACTUAL dps just to achieve big numbers.it's also important to know how to adapt to party play vs solo play. Remember, dead people's DPS is always 0 :)

C- What is actual DPS?
    It's the damage per second you can dish out. Having a massive amount of damage doesn't always mean you have good DPS.

Example: You have X amount of zeny available to build a Sura. You can choose to make a full tiger cannon build for 8m damage each, or go Sky Blow for 160k/cast. you'd OBVIOUSLY go tiger cannon due to the massive damage difference. HOWEVER:

Sky blow can be cast 6~7 times/second (either with a Focus Beret[1] in Niflheim for instant 100% After Cast Delay or gear stacking on Helheim), which would bring your DPS up to around 1M damage, and tiger has a 5 second cooldown, not counting the combo preparation time, it brings your dps down to 1,6m. Which stills quite a bit higher.
    And it's (Edit: NOT) single target. With a massive 5 second down time. Has no HP leech potential due to non-spammability, AND requires a target.

Sky Blow in the mean time is a spammable AoE, with massive leech potential, full acd based and can be used at will, and ALSO has good potential to enable a Knuckle Arrow Build. And if you hit 2 targets with it constantly, your dps will ALWAYS be highers than Tiger Cannon
PS: I do know its possible to get MUCH higher numbers with tiger cannon, but this is based on a comparative cost. 
    Also, if you can instantly kill monsters with tiger cannon, its effective dps is absurdly higher. The same can be told if you only kill monster with less than 1M hp, wasting a lot of damage.

The same can be said about many other builds, such as Full Buster vs Round Trip Rebellion, Hundred Spear vs Ignition Break and Diamond Dust vs Spell Fist.

D- How do i make a build?

There are 5 steps to create a build from the start:

1-What will be the skills the build will focus?
    2-To what extent does the gear available support and buff this skill?
    3-Is it viable to your objectives? Not always a Solo efficient build will help the party in Fortessa or Bio 5.
    4-Can you afford it or should you make a less expensive one first?
    5-Can you survive with the chosen cards and defensive itens?

Example: a Diamond Dust build:
    1-Diamond Dust, maybe some Psychic Wave for assistance, along with water elemental.
    2-Chilly Spell Book, Faceworm Larvae, Headless Mule card among others.
    3-It's water based, so it can't kill holy, water or wind monster effectively.
    4-It has a reasonable cost, and can be mostly farmed and doesn't rely on MvP cards.
    5-It's weapon is one handed, enabling use of a shield

Dragon Breath build:
    1- Dragon Breath and Water Dragon Breath
    2-Few current gear on Hel, Many on Nif. Requires Tao Gunka card for maximum potential.
    3- It can be spammed with enough after cast delay, but is limited to 2 elements. One being fire, effective against Undead.
    4- It's very expensive and requires massive HP/SP/Ranged enchants.
    5- It's one of the tankiest builds available.

E- But Ranger/Soul Reaper/Star Emperor have more damage!
    Ranger is a mostly cheap character to gear compared to many others due to the ranged damage bonuses it has access to, and SR/SE are new classes, with current gear in mind and massive multipliers. Every class has it's ups and down, and what is amazing today, might change tomorrow, like EDDA weapon's Royal Guard and Maestro/Wanderer, or Temporal Circlet Guillotine Cross. And how it was with Adoramus Arch Bishop/Rampage Blaster Bug Sura some time ago. It's important to play what you like.

F- Where should I start my build?

1- Decide the core itens around the build (Fafnir Scale(nif) for Dragon Breath, Scarlet Dragon Leather Bow for Aimed Bolt, Survivor Set for Earth Warlock (nif) and such.
    2-What will be the other items? Do i need more damage or do i need more attack speed?
    3-What about the stats? Do I need 120 for specific bonuses? can i skimp on Vit? can i get extra luk for generic smaller bonuses
    4-How will I deal with counter situations? And enemy resistances? How about consumable upkeep cost?
    5- Does it require farmable gear or limited ones? MVP cards are unreliable to get, and world boss specific drops (Looking at you, Gambler Seal on Niflheim) might cost an absurd                  amount or be flat-out unrealistic expectations.
    6-What are some nice to have stuff on my gear? Pet bonuses, interesting alternative cards, consumables or specific enchants that change the costs and style.
    7- Cheaper options? Maybe i can't afford Modification Module 15% After cast delay, but I can get Awakened Sarah Robe, with 10% after cast delay and less damage output, but it's an         alternative.
    8- Read, research, use keywords on databases and carefully read wikis and skill effects, you may find a hidden gem that completely changes your mind on something.

G- What do you use?

Currently I have:
    A Counter Slash Guillotine Cross, for Bloody Branch and general use. My Ace. Usually crashes my client when I exaggerate on BB spamming even though i have a reasonable PC
    A Knuckle Arrow/Sky Blow Sura, for fun/Instakill Fortessa Dungeon 1 speed clear, one shotting mobs by jumping around.
    A Trap Ranger, waiting on patch gear, 4fun, planning to break the meta of Aimed Bolt and bring something new (and unkillable) to the table (Did you know traps work with leech gear?)
    A Genesis Ray Diamond Royal Guard, for party play and support, with over 1200 DEF. Able to hold it's own for as long as it has SP
    A Crimson Rock Warlock for Instakill Bio 5/Fortessa Farming, Geared for instakilling anything not resistant to Fire and not wasting too much damage.
    A Metallic Sound Maestro, for no reason at all. Will be swapped for a Dragon Breath RK 
    A Spellfist sorcerer, that autocasts as many skills as possible, hopefully crashing my client in the process. DPS ranges from 1m to 9m making no sense at all. But is flashy <3

As a final advice, Always aim for the lowest bonus you have when gearing, If you have too much ranged damage, dont stack MORE ranged damage, get some racial, or size. As a generic rule of thumb that works 90% of time. Always boost the lowest % bonus on @battlestats that is relevant to your build.

H- Who are you and where can i find you if i need assistance?

My discord is ExSoldierAkechi#4620, im one of the GMs on the server as well. KingLeonidas
    My ingame characters are (ExSoldierAkechi / UndeterredAkechi) on Niflheim and Ganryu(still gearing) in Helheim.
    If you need assistance or finishing touches with builds, I might assist you partially on what to use, or plan. But I WON'T explain things that are already on the guide, where to get items or how to farm zeny.

Edited by ExSoldier
failed tiger cannon.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2